Maternity, Babies, & Children
Katie uses a unique combination of Craniosacral Therapy, Reflexology and over 15 years of experience working with mothers and babies to create treatments that cater to each individual circumstance.
Craniosacral therapy (CST) can also be wonderful support throughout pregnancy and after birth. CST has been shown to be beneficial by bringing relief to symptoms associated with:
• hormonal systems and emotional well-being
• stress, tension, and physical pain
• sleep disturbances
CST is a safe and gentle to receive during pregnancy and has been shown to be beneficial for the changing processes of the three trimesters, treating symptoms associated with:
• fatigue and morning sickness
• physical changes, such as pelvic girdle and back pain
• restless legs syndrome and inflammation
• treating the pelvis to help free movement to the sacrum and coccyx, hence allowing delivery to be much easier and less traumatic.
The findings of the Gentofte study were supported by a further study carried out by Dr Gowri Motha at the Jeyrani Birth Centre on the effects of reflexology on pregnant women. Thirty-seven pregnant women completed a course of 10 reflexology treatments with remarkable effects. The average length of the first stage of labour was 5 hours whereas the text book average is 16-24 hours; the second stage of labour lasted an average of 16 minutes compared to the text book expectancy of 1-2 hours, and only 5.4% of the women who had reflexology treatment required emergency caesarean section compared to an average of 13% in Newham district which was the district where the study was conducted (Motha and Mcgrath)
Katie has completed a post-graduate training in maternity reflexology through the International Federation of Reflexologists under a practising Midwife and Renée Tanner - Founder of the IFR and world-renowned Reflexologist.
She has completed numerous postgraduate trainings in Craniosacral therapy working with pregnancy, mothers and babies through CTET and children & babies in practice I & II with Claire Dolby & Satya Shepherd
Coping with a new born baby can be an emotionally and physically draining time for parents. Reflexology treatments help calm, re-energise as well as providing a valuable space to relax. Other benefits that can be seen include but are not limited to:
- Increased energy levels
- reduced anxiety
- restore sleep patterns
- encourage milk flow
- reduce risk of postnatal depression
Most babies benefit from receiving Craniosacral Therapy (CST) after birth, ideally the first few weeks. The majority of babies experience some degree of shock, whether mild or severe, at some stage during the birth process, particularly when recovering from intervention. If it has been a difficult birth or fast labour, the newborn can be in a state of shock, and then it can be as if they haven’t been able to fully arrive. The tissues can often feel frozen, the newborn is often subdued or irritable, will not settle, wakeful and over stimulated. Once released, the tissues can expand and open more freely.
CST can offer support for:
• establishing and supporting breastfeeding
• developing good sleep and self soothing patterns
• early feeding problems such as colic, reflux and allergies
• Torticollis (also known as wry neck, asymmetrical neck or head position)
• Tongue-tie, (also be a cause of additional tension which can make latching and feeding more difficult and CST has been shown beneficial for releasing tension and support pre and post a tongue-tie simple surgical procedure ~ frenotomy.
• Mother’s hormone and sleep patterns, as well as any musculoskeletal changes
Reflexology can also be used for relaxation when performed on your newborn. Reflexology has been found helpful for a number of childhood illnesses / conditions such as colic, glue ear, constipation, stress, sleep problems, growing pains, coughs and colds, blocked noses, eczema, ear and throat infections and so on. Katie often shows parents various reflex points that may help the current symptoms.
Reflexology on babies has been shown to:
- improve baby’s sleep patterns
- treat constipation
- soothe colic pain
- soothe teething trouble
- encourage bonding between mother and baby
Children of all ages can benefit from the gentle, nurturing and calming approach of Craniosacral (CST) and it has been been found beneficial for the various developmental changes, emotional and physical well-being. Many common behavioural, social and learning difficulties respond well to CST.
Get In Touch & Book Now
Get in touch with any questions and learn how KSTherapy can support you with your health concerns, or help with managing stress and tension.